The BOHS IP405 – Management of Asbestos in Buildings training course provides delegates with skills to manage more efficiently asbestos in buildings whilst gaining broader understanding of asbestos removal procedures.
Who is it for?
This is an ideal course for those persons responsible for managing asbestos in a building or estate. The course covers the basics of surveying of buildings for the presence of asbestos, bulk sampling and general guidance on management procedures necessary to minimise exposure to identified asbestos.
Delegates for this course are expected to be aware of the health risks associated with asbestos and the general methods for exposure control, especially as they relate to buildings where asbestos has been used in the construction
What are the main subject areas?
- Asbestos Properties and Regulatory Requirements
- Management of Asbestos in Buildings
- Asbestos Remediation
- Role of Laboratory/Analysts
- Practical Work
Download your copy of the course here
By the end of the course, a delegate should:
- Gain a clear understanding of the legislation relating to asbestos and those aspects of other health and safety regulations relevant to the management of asbestos in buildings.
- Be able to identify the main types of asbestos materials in buildings, the appropriate means of recording their locations, and be fully aware of the procedures and methods for the prevention of future damage to asbestos-containing materials. Candidates should be able to develop an action plan on the basis of survey information and properly manage the asbestos that is remaining in the premises by suitable schemes.
- Be thoroughly familiar with current good practice for asbestos remediation, including encapsulation, sealing and removal operations and should be able to identify examples of poor working procedures in practical situations.
- Be able to understand the role of the analyst, air monitoring techniques and the four-stage clearance procedure.
- Be able to convert survey data into a building management action plan, carry out a thorough appraisal of contractor documentation and methods, and appreciate the pressures and demands on various parties during an asbestos removal project.
4 days (including the exams)
What level is it?
Level 4 in the BOHS qualifications framework.
How do candidates pass it?
Candidates must pass three parts within 12 months:
- Written theory examination.
- Written practical examination.