Similar to the Asbestos Awareness course, Asbestos Awareness plus course is aimed at providing the essential skills needed to anyone likely to disturb asbestos containing materials (ACM). This course fully covers Asbestos Awareness and in addition covers some basics on handling up to 10m2 of class b materials.
The course also covers some decontamination measures, requirements and use of PPE and RPE.
They need to take this awareness course to understand the risks associated with asbestos so that they can take the proper measures in the event of contact with ACMs.
Who Should Take This Course?
All workers who are likely to disturb asbestos containing materials during their normal work should be trained so that they can work safely. This Asbestos Awareness plus course is suitable for anyone who may be exposed to asbestos as part of their work so that they fully understand the dangers and minimize airborne fibers during the removal of small amounts of bonded asbestos products. This includes, but is not limited to, professions such as:
- Heating and ventilation engineers
- Demolition workers
- Carpenters, joiners and construction workers
- Roofing contractors
- Painters, decorators and plasterers
- Fire and burglar alarm installers
- Shop fitters
- Gas fitters
- Computer installers and telecommunications engineers
- General maintenance staff
- Cable layers and electricians
Note that any workers who plan to carry out work which will knowingly disturb asbestos require a higher level of training, (Class A or Class B).
Asbestos Awareness + covers some basics on handling up to 10m2 of class b materials. Some trades can work with up to 10m2 of bonded with the awareness plus training. The course also covers some decontamination measures, requirements and use of PPE and RPE.
By the end of the course you will learn to:
- Identify and describe the different types of asbestos
- Identify likely asbestos containing materials (ACMs) and products
- Appropriately and accurately report the presence of ACMs to relevant state stakeholders and/or authorities
- Relate safe work methods to ACMs
- Identify and control asbestos related hazards
- Describe the health risks, effects and preventative measures associated with asbestos exposure
- Apply effective understanding of relevant legislation and duty of care
- Identify asbestos control, maintenance and emergency procedures
- Personal protection (RPE & PPE)
- Basics on handling up to 10m2 of class b materials
- Basic decontamination procedures