ASBESTOS OR NOT ASBESTOS – THAT IS THE QUESTION?
There are literally thousands of products containing asbestos located in homes and buildings throughout New Zealand. Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) can be found in a wide range of building products that were used in many different locations inside and outside properties. The reality is it is not always possible to tell if something contains asbestos just by looking at it. It is also impossible to determine exactly how much or what type of asbestos a product contains just by looking at it. The safest and best course of action for determining whether a product contains asbestos or not, is to have it tested by an IANZ Accredited Laboratory. Don’t take unnecessary risks, get it tested and know what you are dealing with.
SPECIALISTS IN ASBESTOS TESTING
At Protec, we specialise in bulk asbestos analysis and air sample testing. We offer a wide range of flexible options for turnaround of results including same day, 24 hour, 48 hour, emergency and late night services. We are also IANZ Accredited. Talk to us today about pricing options to suit your job and requirements.
WHAT ARE YOUR ASBESTOS RESPONSIBILITIES?
All business and property owners have a duty under the Health & Safety at Work (Asbestos) Regulations 2016 to identify asbestos in the workplace. The most accurate way to identify asbestos is to conduct a survey of your business and/or property to determine locations and type of asbestos that is present and its potential risk. Most comprehensive and good quality surveys would include sample testing as part of their standard identification requirements.
GETTING AN ASBESTOS SAMPLE TESTED
- Safely collect a small sample of the material you would like to have tested.
- Ensure that any samples are taken with care to avoid putting yourself or others at risk.
- If in any doubt, contact us and we can come and take a sample for you.
- Place the sample in a zip lock bag and seal securely.
- Place this sample inside a second zip lock bag and seal securely.
- All samples must be double bagged to protect the contents.
- Clearly label and number each sample bag.
- Download and complete the Asbestos Sample Custody Sheet.
- Bring or Post your sample to Protec for testing and analysis.
AFTER HOURS DROP OFF
- Open the top hatch and place samples along with your custody sheet inside.
- Close the hatch and pull out the slide drawer below. Your sample should then drop into the box.
- Replace drawer and pull down top hatch to check your sample has been received.
- Do not use large padded courier bags as these are too wide for the box.
- Box is checked first thing daily (Mon-Fri)
- If your sample is urgent we recommending emailing us to let us know.
SAMPLE DELIVERY ADDRESS
57 Walls Road
Phone: 09 525 0568
Download Asbestos Custody Forms